Monday, January 14, 2008

Nate Turns Eight!!



So my little man has finally turned eight! I about can't stand it. Where did the time go? He was so incredibly excited for his birthday--he'd been counting down since before Christmas! The night before his birthday, when I was putting him to bed, he asked me if we were all going to come in and sing Happy Birthday while he was still in bed (obviously not excited at all). The next morning, he woke up incredibly early for a Saturday, so we did not sing to him in bed (is that like breakfast in bed or something?). I did make him a special breakfast at his request--a repeat of our Christmas waffles and ice cream. When we sat down to say the blessing, he told me that whoever was saying it needed to make sure that they talk about his birthday!! I couldn't decide if that was cute or being spoiled. Anyway, we had an exciting day planned. As this was his eighth birthday, he got to have a 'friend party' which is easier said than done with a winter birthday. We didn't have a clue as to what we were going to do. Nate wanted to go to Jump on It or Kangaroo Zoo, which are both indoor bounce houses--one with trampolines and the other with the big, air filled, creatures. Both options were extremely expensive, so we were still at a loss. Robert and I started talking after Christmas about how fun it would be to have a big room and a bunch of Nerf guns (the inspiration came from the Christmas day battles). Unfortunately, we had no idea how to accomplish that! Luckily, I was talking to the lady that does my hair about it, and she had a great idea: There is a place called Noah's that rents out rooms for pretty cheap!
There are all sorts of rooms--conference rooms, billiard rooms, theater rooms, even an ice skating rink! So I stopped by on my way home and found the perfect thing--a racquetball court! We rented it out for 15 bucks a session (it ended up being 2 1/2 hours!) We found some inexpensive Nerf guns, and had a ball!
It was a huge hit, and each kid went home with their own nerf gun! The best part of all was that I got to sit behind the glass wall and watch, without all of the noise and chaos that was going on in the racquetball court! Lovely! A grand time was had by all--and I didn't have a ginormous mess to clean up afterward.
Some of the kids said that it was the best birthday party they'd ever been to, even if I forgot to bring some matches to light the candles on the cake!! Nate wasn't too happy about it, and he wouldn't pretend to blow them out for posterity, but who can blame him!
Anyway, we had a lot of fun and now my little guy gets to be baptized--man, I'm getting old!

No comments: